Mandatory pre-travel classes (Fridays during the second 8-week of Spring 2019):
March 22, 29, April 5, 12, 19, and 26; 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Travel to Brazil:
The study tour will take place from May 10 – 24, 2019. The travel component of the trip can be physically intense and students should be prepared for long days in a hot climate. Students will submit their last assignment after returning from the travel.
The program is open to ALL IU Bloomington undergraduate students.
Additional program requirements are:
- At least 18 years old
- Have minimum IU Cum GPA of 2.7
- Have not participated in OVPDEI-sponsored study abroad programs before (India, Ghana, Peru, and Dominican Republic)
- Seniors must have one semester to complete at IU upon their return from the study abroad program.
This is an OVPDEI custom study abroad course. Therefore, students in the following OVPDEI academic programs receive subsidized price:
- Hudson and Holland Scholars Program (HHSP)
- Groups Scholars Program
- 21st Century Scholars Program
- FASE mentor or OVPDEI-funded ASC tutors
Selection preferences are given to those who have no previous study abroad and overseas travel experience.
$4,350 - full program cost
$1,650 – for selected students in OVPDEI academic scholarship program
The program fee includes course tuition (3 IU credit hours), roundtrip transportation from Bloomington to the airport, roundtrip international flights, airport transfers in country, accommodations in Brazil, all meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), domestic transportation to and from all excursion sites, entry fees to all museums and historical sites, lectures and workshop fees, student travel insurance, Brazilian visa fees, and administrative fees.
*Program fee is subject to change due to unforeseeable circumstances.
Additional Variable Costs:
Variable costs are paid before and after you arrive in Brazil. The costs are:
- Cost of US passport ($150: $135 passport + $15 passport photos). Expedited service costs additional $60.
- Recommended vaccinations ($300-$500). Consult your health insurance provider or IU Health Center
- Spending money in Brazil ($250 to $350) to purchase gifts, personal items, additional or alternate meals, and tips for services)
- Miscellaneous (additional luggage, insect repellant, snacks, etc.)
The selected OVPDEI students automatically receive an OVPDEI scholarship towards the Brazil program. Therefore, students are not eligible to apply for additional funding through the summer study abroad scholarship from OVPDEI.
Students are responsible for securing funds for the student portion or full cost (if not receiving the automatic scholarship) for the program. Since it is a Summer 1 course, students must be registered for at least 6 credits (another class) to apply for student loans.
Potential Scholarships for Program (please check your eligibility for each scholarship)
Edward L. Hutton International Experiences Program (HIEP):
Diversity Abroad Scholarship:
Office of Overseas Study:
The course is intended for, but not limited to, students interested in topics such as human rights, social justice, social movements, African American and African Diaspora Studies, Latin American & Caribbean Studies, history, immigration, gender studies, literature, and anthropology.
- Application is available online at http://go.iu.edu/2019OVPDEIBrazil by February 8, 2019
- Qualified applicants will receive an interview request from OVPDEI Overseas Studies & Scholarship Program. Each interview will take about 10-15 minutes.
- The applicants will be notified of the decision by February 22, 2019.
Participation is contingent upon attending all pre-trip sessions, paying all required deposits and fees, and abiding by the rules/guidelines of the program.
Please contact the OVPDEI Overseas Studies and Scholarship Program (email@example.com) with questions.
February 1: Information session (3 p.m. IMU Sassafras Room)
February 8: Application deadline (11:59 p.m.)
February 22: Selection decision
March 1: Student acceptance
March 8: $500 Deposit is due (non-refundable)
March 22: On-campus sessions starts
April 26: On-campus session ends
May 10-24: Travel to Brazil